Development History Of LST 5.0
The history of LittleSmalltalk 5.0
5.0 alpha 008 - Release date: ???
This release was a precompiled only release for the Win32 platform. It provided several bug fixes to make the system more stable. I never published sources for this version and I never thought about it as being a real version. It was just an intermediate release that fixed some strange bugs in alpha 007.
5.0 alpha 007 - Release date: 01/13/2007
Lots of new stuff, for example:
- The nogui version is now ported to a variety of platforms (Linux, Mac OS/X, SUN Solaris, IBM AIX, HP-UX, SGI Irix and of course Windows). These ports are based on work done by Alex! Thanks!
- The Windows version now comes in two versions in the precompiled package: gui based and without gui. The GUI based image opens per default the image file "LittleSmalltalk.image". The non-GUI version opens per default the image file "LittleSmalltalk_nogui.image".
- New Startup structure in the standard images.
This new structure is realized by a series of classes:
Subclasses of ShellApplication don't use the GUI subsystem. Subclasses of GUIApplication are GUI based applications. There are two conrete classes that startup GUI resp. nongui LittleSmalltalk systems: LittleSmalltalkApplication and LittleSmalltalkShellApplication.
If you want to create your own GUI application, do this:
- Create a subclass of GUIApplication, say HelloWorldApplication
- Copy the #onStartup method of LittleSmalltalkApplication into your class and change it according to your needs.
- Then create an image with a command like this:
HelloWorldApplication new image: 'HelloWorld.image'
- Lots of minor and major bug fixes and improvements, some examples:
- Symbols like #keyword:Message:Symbol: can now be parsed correctly.
- -1 < 0 now returns true ;)
- "true print" and "false print" did sometimes crash.
- (20 to: -20 by: -2) do: [ :x | x print ] now works.
- etc. pp. lots of low level improvements
5.0 alpha 006 - Release date: 01/06/2007
- Allows Import and Export of class definitions to allow usage of classes after changing to a new LST image
5.0 alpha 005 - Release date: 01/05/2007
- Major enhancments:
- New class browser
- New Launcher / Transcript
- New Workspace
- These tools are now written using the widget classes
- Several bug fixes
- Comes with a precompiled version for Windows (Earlier versions were source only...)
5.0 alpha 004 - Release date: 01/02/2007
- Updated third party libraries: IUP2.5, CD4.4, SQLite 3.3.8
- Compiles now fine with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
5.0 alpha 003 - Release date: 01/02/2007
- Comes with the beginning of FFI functionality
5.0 alpha 002 - Release date: 01/01/2007
- Some GUI extensions
- Some GUI examples
- Some bug fixes
5.0 alpha 001 - Release date: 12/30/2006
The first release after 4.1. Changes include:
- Methods can be larger than in earlier versions (class BigString etc.)
- Lots of errors corrected
- Lots of new methods
- GUI binding using the IUP library from tecgraf.
- GUI primitives are wrapped by the methods in class GUIPrimitives
- A simple class browser (class NewBrowser) that directly uses the primitives
- Some more usable classes (Widget, WLabel, WButton, WidgetManager etc.)
- Provides SQLite primitives in the VM